About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm a 22 year old born in '88. I'm loving the symmetry.

I also love a lot of other things, and I hope that you'll get a sense of what those things are after browsing my happiness project. This is a less formalized version of Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project - I'm basically just trying to remind myself of all the things I smile about. I'm forgetful.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Valentine's Day

I know it's a little bit early but...



I am so, so excited for it.

Some people say it's just another holiday created by the greeting card companies but... in the world we live today, couldn't we use a holiday dedicated to love? It's like the opening from Love, Actually:

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."

If anything, holidays are a great moment to appreciate the people in your life. "You can appreciate anyone anytime." Yes, but do we? We all get busy, distracted. Holidays are a great opportunity to pause. And Valentine's Day is a moment to pause and to give love. Even when I was single, I still loved Valentine's Day. I spent one year with one of my best friends-- and despite the fact we were single, we weren't miserable. We had a great friendship, and life was still amazing because of that.

Can't wait!!


2 comments: